Mittwoch, 14. September 2011

Morphology, anatomy and nomenclature of the German "Jagdnicker": Deviants from A and historical pieces.

So, more steel. In the 1950´s the original "Jagdnicker" evolved to more variations. Before WWII, there also were more variants. In WWI the German "Jagdnicker" served as a trench knife and was therefore developed to several variants. The German "Grabendolch" (trench knife) was developed out of the "Jagdnicker". The pic on the right shows contemporary designs: Stubai, 440C, red deer antler. Below two Frevert designs (Oberforstmeister Frevert (Chief of the forest department) developed several designs in the 1920´s). Below that an old Hubertus design, 1.4109, red deer antler. Below an Otter design from 2008 that incorporates design features of the rat tail tanged "Jagdnicker" and the integral bolster of a flat tanged "Jagdnicker" design. Below that a very dynamic design I like a lot, also from the 1950´s (design, not the knife, which is from 1998). And lowest in line a Hubertus blade, 1.4109, Cocobolo and nickel silver bolster at the end.
Topmost is an ancient "Grabendolch" that was forged in 1912 or so, supposedly for "Lauterjung and Son" or "Gebrüder Gräfrath" in Solingen by the Rudolph Broch smithy in Solingen. Crucible steel with a C 75 carbon content. Tempered in 2004 by Matthias Zwissler and myself. Below is a "Brotzeitmesser" design that was popular from 1994-2004. 1.4109, the ricasso serves as a caplifter, too.
This is my first replica I made from chisel steel in 2002 after a historical find in the Paseirer valley in Southern Tyrolia (Italy).
Filework. Some of these knives served as "Drudenmesser", a knife used to fend off the mare (night-mare, that is), many with Christian and heathen symbols alike on the blade: Nine crosses, nine half moons and the like, plus IHS and INRI inscriptions or incantations. Great modern interpretations of the type and a detailed history on this style of knife you can find here.
A detail on the handle. Having seen Edelweiss (leontopodium alpinum) in nature myself, I have grown very fond of this tough yet delicate and beautiful, almost otherworldly flower. Those are the flowers I am fond of...[insert unlikely and extremely inflationary compliment to my favourite spamwoman*ggg]
The filework on the blade. Nice and thin, it often gets me thinking if I really have developed so much. I then often take out my Mora and have thoughts of giving up the whole business. Then I get angry and start this thing anew...*g
Two more historical pieces, flea market finds you might be familiar with, both from the 1920´s.










And another one from myself. Made this in 2000. Blade is file steel, bolster is from the file, and handle is burned red stag antler.

Beliebte Posts