When at Erich´s place, we had some sort of an experiment... felting a vest, that is. We took Coburgian fox sheepswool. First came a layer of newspaper, then some air foil.
Then we started to lay out the wool in one direction.
The wool laid out.
Pouring warm water over it.
Do not overdo it!
The prefelting with soap and warm water.
The backside prefelted.
Felting the front, right side.
Adding more soap water.
We felted with small rotating movements of our hands.
like this, see;-)?
We made the soap water with a piece of soap.
The right and the backside ready to be felted together. Please note the unfelted wool at the sides to be connected with the main body.
The next part.
Done...;-).
Then we put the air foil on the inside and connected the parts by felting the sides to the main body.
...
...more detail work.
The magic troll, as usual, did the flimsy work... ;-)
More felting...
...
Gently applying more soap water...
Then it was some arduous work, doing the actual felting. We wrapped the whole thing in air foil and rolled and punched it to and fro.
The finished product, ready for a turn in the laundry, at 60 degrees Celsius.
Rinsing away the remaining soap...
..and the bulletproof ballistic bastard of a vest after a turn in the laundry... didn´t quite turn out the way we wanted;-)... but it was a valuable learning process!
Those are the adventures of Mr. Fimbulmyrk, in bushcraft and blacksmithing, mountainbiking and hiking, reenactment, writing, singing, dancing, stargazing and having a piece of cake and a coffee. Pray have a seat and look around you, but be warned - the forest´s twilight is ferocious at times.
Beliebte Posts
-
This is part of my not exactly tiny collection of German hunting knives, representatives of a very distinct and ancient style of knife. Y...
-
Bushprowler test by the maker himself is quite impressive. I test my knives myself and felt inspired by the footage... and it is a motiva...
-
On request I am doing a personal evaluation of a very classic bushcraft combination. The famed Roselli hunter and carpenter´s knife. I pur...
-
I had used my beloved friction folder pretty hard. For those of you that are new to the blog, I made it several years ago, from a titanium...
-
Some time ago I collected some oak galls because I was feeling inspired by medieval scribe culture. I had made the graphite pen holder and ...
-
I am not quite sure how to write this positively. I am currently feeling a bit burned out, not necessarily by smithing, but by the circum...
-
You all have read my post about the Knifemaker´s Fair in Solingen Klingenmuseum which...
-
On Friday it was ruckus in the smithy again. I wanted to come early to have a chance to pursue my own projects, but to little effect. Jul...
-
A current hyperfixation of this here neurospicy conker is making pouches from bark. Pretty satisfying, since I am slowly getting the gist. ...
-
On a recent bimble I came across this lovely piece of pine wood and thought to get some whittling practice in. Now many people argue ...