Views last month

Samstag, 4. Juni 2011

How do you spell catastrophe-how the knife of Mr. Rothenberg was born...

 Last week I had my first forging tutorial on schedule. Mr. Rothenberg came around to forge his first custom knife. We agreed on file steel, and a wooden handle made to fit his hand. At first he wanted a "groot" upswept skinner point, but we discussed it and agreed on a drop point for its versatility. We started at 10 a m, and did fairly well. Then something extremely weird happened. I had the file steel precisely at forging temperature, when my student hit it with a hammer, and it just exploded as if we drove Borax out of a damascus! This was just the first of many events soon to follow. It started to rain, but no harm done. Thunder groaned above, and lightning flashed. Still no harm done, I love that. I find it adds scenery;-). Finished forging
just before lunchtime. I wanted to do a bronze bolster. heated the bronze, quenched it to be able to cold-work it with a chisel, all business as usual, eh? Not. Seems it was powdermetallurgic bronze from a bearing. It went all boom and lay there in shards.Even the drilling machine with a HSS cobalt drill fitted would not drill it. So I called it a day, told my student it was things going all off the path and offered to forge a scroll for a bolster. So far, so good. So WHAT? Made it, first one broke. Second one: Broke. Third one, worked. Made a steel plate to rivet the tang against, and fitted the handle (some aged oak from the beams of my old home). We did a quick burning fit. Then I quenched and heat - treated the blade. During the process, it was raining hard, lightning flashed, and the thunder groaned overhead. Hard to refrain from growling "Thor!", I can tell you...;-) I heat treated it higher than normal and longer to make for more elasticity, for it should be a backwoods knife.


Then we tested the blade. I let it fall, tip first, on a concrete floor. Carved annealed steel and spring steel with it. Everything fine. Slammed it, broad side up, across a round piece of wood. Did the same on the anvil. Everything fine. It was only just when I tried to slam it into a round piece of mild steel rod, that the tip fell off.

So I sent Mr. Rothenberg  to lunch, for I guaranteed him a serviceable blade after the workshop. While he was eating, I forged the blade anew after the outlines of the old one and made the fittings and handle to ... er ... fit?;-). When he returned, I heat treated the blade even more conservatively. After an even more severe test, we mounted the handle with dual compound glue, and filed it with a rasp and file to fit his hand, doing it nice and slow.

I sincerely apologized for all the mess, but sometimes it´s the thrill of solving the problems that make out the character of a work. We still have to put a razor edge to it, and will do it in "my other museum";-) with a belt grinder. As is, it cuts, but not too well. Mr. Rothenberg liked it nonetheless, which I am very glad of! It was fun to work with him, even if many things (he were not responsible for) were not ideal at all.

I learned a lot on this afternoon. First and foremostly, I will not offer to make a complete knife on one day, except viking style scroll knifes, bush knives or other all - metal designs. I will prepare some stock to simplify the process. And I´ll call it a day when it starts to rain cats and dogs and dinosaurs...;-).

Kommentare:

  1. Some days just take a direction all their own!

    AntwortenLöschen
  2. Yes, they do, and I guess that life´s always this way...chaotic, and you have to always be flexible to react.

    AntwortenLöschen
  3. Whew! Well, it will burn the day long into Mr. Rothenberg's memory, and hopefully it will be a good memory. He'll definitely have a story to tell...

    AntwortenLöschen
  4. I hope so, either!;-) And I hope that knife will last him and help him in the woods. That was the reason I did all this brutality to the blade;-)!

    AntwortenLöschen

Now go on, discuss and rant and push my ego;-). As long as it´s a respectful message, every comment is welcome!

Beliebte Posts