Views last month

Mittwoch, 9. November 2011

Mora less the perfect knives;-)

If you are looking into going out into the woods, doing woodwork and bushcrafting, you might get a bit intimif´dated by all the latest paraphernalia. Those Grylls and Mears and Lundins running around and telling you what you need often might leave you with the impression you have to get a bank credit to even get started. And of course it has to be the latest Gerber Bear Grylls signature toolkit you need. Now I am a geardo myself, and I know that supplies might be short sometimes;-). I won´t tell you what you need. But I strongly suspect that it´s not necessary to spend a fortune on gear to get out into the woods and enjoy nature. Face it: Those guys make a living buying and selling, and NOT running through woods half-naked. That´s just for the show. Even if those tips are working, and it is not to be said that their shows are a fallacy. I have yet to learn a great deal of bush lore, and I keep learning from those shows, too. But they are entertainers, and marketing businessmen rather than "real" people. So you can question the gear money can buy a tiny bit.

These Moras are an example. The blades pictured you can get from 12-15€, the knives from 7-75€, and the most expensive version might not even be necessary. I simply love these knives. They cut well for a thin spine and a thin Scandi flat bevel. They are laminate steel that will rather bend than break. They get the job done. Period.

You can always do better. You can buy or make a different knife. If it will be better, remains to be seen. So when you first-timers look into buying a knife, look no further. Of course, if you have to sneak up on sentries all the time or kill alligators or lions, they might be a bit undergunned;-). But since I go mushroom hunting, collecting herbs, prepping food for cooking and snacks, do some carving and whittling, and build shelters, these are all you need for those tasks.

Kommentare:

  1. Honestly Markus, don't tell anyone all this!! They might stop buying knives from me too! So please keep the secrets....

    That out of the way, I agree with you. TV is TV, there to entertain, or rather that's the side effetc of the TV compagnies making money. But the people in front of the camera, and those behind them have a vested interest in pushing their stuff.

    AntwortenLöschen
  2. Joel, I believe that Moras are great for first knives. They have their flaws alright, and will ultimately lead people to buy some (even) better ones. Also, there is something that is not to be dismissed: Craftsmanship is more than just function. Your knives are more than just functional, and your unique selling point is not being cheap or bargain, but something made by hand and heart. Plus, they are tailored to the task at hand. I will post an article on these thoughts today. I am just disagreed with all those half-metre-long shrapnels sold as survival knives but being just combat knives. They tend to ruin the reputation of our tools, too. You do not make such knives, and your work is more than Moras. I must not keep quiet, but make clear the difference, and this I will do (and have done with this blog). I sincerely hope you are not offended! And please, and I mean that, do not try to compete with corporations like Mora, but concentrate on your unique selling points: Individuality, value, artistical uniqueness, "soul", and functionality. It might be that Moras are all you NEED. But greater tools give greater joy.

    AntwortenLöschen
  3. Hey Markus...I was joking when I said what I said, I am happy with what you said and I am not at all offended my friend!

    There are the cheap knives that are no good, there are the cheap but very good knives, like the Moras, and there are the not so cheap but useless for purpose knives, the one you call 1/2 metre long shrapnel (that's a lovely description:-) ) and then there are the handmade knives by people who take pride and love what they do and put of lot of themselves into their work. Some people get it and appreciate the craftmanship and efforts and are prepared to pay for that. Some don't get it and just want "value for money".

    I do my best to fit in with the craftmanship guys and put a lot of effort into my knives. I don't intend to event try to compete, I am not a factory!

    AntwortenLöschen
  4. Hi, Joel, it hit a nerve somehow, for I am very aware of the problem, and it is an issue with every custom knifemaker and toolmaker (with myself, too). I want to one day make knives that are up to par and useful for the task. That means my knives have to be at least better than the Moras or up to par. But to do so I have to critically view myself and find a niche and a unique selling point, for, as you said, I am no factory either. People will buy my knives for uniqueness and quality, not because they are bargain basement. I am glad you see that in a similar way, for another friend of mine wrecked himself that way. Not pretty.

    So, I wish you the very best with your knife sales, and if I could be of any assistance, let me know. Oh, and thanks for your patience;-).

    AntwortenLöschen

Now go on, discuss and rant and push my ego;-). As long as it´s a respectful message, every comment is welcome!

Beliebte Posts