Views last month

Montag, 8. August 2011

On the bench these days;-)

 This is the little damascus utility I made at Volker´s smithy. It´s made from Zwissler seven-bar damascus, tank cannon, tank bearing and 1.2842. Blade is 9,5 cm long. The handle is made out of some wood Viktor gave to me: 250 year old oak that lay submerged in rusty water in an abandoned iron mine. It is hard as metal (you can carve fir wood with it...;-)), polishes like a cinch and I love the red colour it shows.
 Top is the Kopis I made in the Industriemueum smithy on Sunday, polished and with the bolster fitted.
Etching detail of the damascus pattern. Yap, those ARE slag marks in there, and YAP, I am NOT proud of it;-). I look forward to the knife nonetheless. I think I will fit a handle of the red bog oak Viktor gave to me and do some knotwork carving or spiral patterns on it... but we will see...

Kommentare:

  1. Both knives look good to my eyes, and I like the handle.

    AntwortenLöschen
  2. Good one.
    http://woodsrunnersdiary.blogspot.com/

    AntwortenLöschen
  3. That is beautiful, you are definitely a craftsman.

    AntwortenLöschen
  4. Nice looking pair of knives Markus. I like that Oak! I have used Bog Oak, whick is black from being submerged in acidic waters for thousands of years, but never the red version of it! You're a lucky devil :-)

    AntwortenLöschen
  5. @joel: It´s a local variety, so to speak;-). There are many mines around the Bethaus, and the oak comes out of a long abandoned shaft only recently restored for public recognition. Don´t know how Viktor came by it, but then he is a Russian, and that means he is somewhat resourceful;-). Seems I have somewhat gained his respect, and that matters even more to me than the privilege to work with the material. But that means another responsibility for my work, and I am not so content with the results as always.

    But maybe I am just being stubborn. It means a lot to me that you all appreciate this as much as you do, and it is very much welcome for I hope to contribute something to this network and do something good apart from boosting my ego...;-)

    Thanks!

    AntwortenLöschen

Now go on, discuss and rant and push my ego;-). As long as it´s a respectful message, every comment is welcome!

Beliebte Posts