Views last month

Donnerstag, 7. April 2011

Look what I found hike or what became of the umbrella;-)

 Went out foraging some days ago and came across a huge pile of treasures. This I simply found pleasing to the eye, although it might be (very carefully and only with consulting someone with healing practice or a doctor!!!) applied when suffering mild heart insufficiencies. I do not recommend using it, mind you, it´s just traditionally used in this application. It´s the common periwinkle.
 I found these withered steel bolts with a high carbon content submerged in the soil of an ancient garbage deposing site near an old, abandoned farmhouse. I remember the Iberians used the method of submerging iron in the soil and letting it rust and then refining it to carburize it, so I am eager to try this material! One seems to be an old axle, the other a bolt or a piece of prybar.
 This is a nickel silver handle of an old umbrella, very beautifully engraved, apparently by hand. The umbrella´s all gone, and it can´t wait for its new life to start;-). What could it possibly become... uuummm.... I have an idea....
 Some common scurvy grass (Cochlearia officinalis), in German: Echtes Löffelkraut for soup and sandwich and bannock...Tastes a bit like cress.
 Aaaand, one of my all - time - favourites for a hundred and one applications, some garlic mustard (alliaria petiolata), in German: Knoblauchsrauke. All parts ar edible. Before blossom, it tastes like wild garlic, after that like a cress variant, too. The root should be harvested before blossom and tastes a bit like horse radish (in German: Meerrettich) and can be prepared as such. Delicious with some salt, lemon and cream, for smoked bacon, fish or beef! The leaves can be used as spice in sour cream, as a salad or spinache even. You can fill fish with them or meat, you can eat them raw or cooked, you can make a cream soup with them. White wine suits them best, as with nettle leaves. The seeds are said to have aphrodisic properties ;-) and can be used as a energizing tonicum.
Those are the roots, a bit like parsley root they look. Ah, yes, that´s a very old knife I brought out to reality check, and I still love it. The handle has suffered a little, but the blade´s still a beast.
 The garlic mustard before blossom in undisturbed habit. I love that stuff. Did I mention I love that stuff? I love it. I mean, it might be it wasn´t made clear, so I better tell you: I love that stuff;-).
Ah yes, and what became of the umbrella and my would-not-be Nessmuk-would-not-be-seaxwithahumponthespine-would - be - a - no -frills - bush-  beast-blade;-). A bit rough still, and yes, I admit, I have a lot of projects started and lying on my bench, that is my living room table;-). I am planning for a somewhat Russian look, with an antler handle and a "viking style" sheath that was common also in Russia. But we´ll see, I am somewhat volatile at times....;-)

Kommentare:

  1. Is there enough carbon content to strike sparks using flint? You could turn it into a fire steel.

    AntwortenLöschen
  2. Many old bolts you find will be wrought iron, rather than steel. IF they ARE, treasure them, because they aren't making it any more to my knowledge. It's good for handforged items and mixing with steel to make Damascus.

    AntwortenLöschen
  3. It shows a spark analysis with bright and very articulated sparks, and I guess it will work. I have yet to etch it to look if it´s wrought iron, that would be a real treat for me, I love that stuff, too! Rotten wrought iron tends to be a bit reluctant to forge, though.

    AntwortenLöschen

Now go on, discuss and rant and push my ego;-). As long as it´s a respectful message, every comment is welcome!

Beliebte Posts