Joel suggested a concoction consisting of linseed oil and iron oxide to tan the sheaths. I had some iron oxide left from etching my damascus blades (vinegar, salt and iron oxide) and mixed it with my mixture of beeswax, spruce tar and linseed oil to tan the seam sides of the sheaths. Had no brush to apply it, so it gives a bit of a rustic look as always;-). The red triquetta I coloured with dragon´s blood (daemonoropos draco) and turpentine oil.
Will have to see some beeswax still, but almost there.
I am not quite content with the stitching on this one, it went awry when wet-forming the sheath around the knife, which is crucial with this style to keep it in.
Anyway, it will do, and I keep learningg. Special thanks to Joel, who is always ready to share his knowledge... it´s thoroughly appreciated, I am a beginner still.
Those are the adventures of Mr. Fimbulmyrk, in bushcraft and blacksmithing, mountainbiking and hiking, reenactment, writing, singing, dancing, stargazing and having a piece of cake and a coffee. Pray have a seat and look around you, but be warned - the forest´s twilight is ferocious at times.
Beliebte Posts
-
This is part of my not exactly tiny collection of German hunting knives, representatives of a very distinct and ancient style of knife. Y...
-
I had used my beloved friction folder pretty hard. For those of you that are new to the blog, I made it several years ago, from a titanium...
-
Bushprowler test by the maker himself is quite impressive. I test my knives myself and felt inspired by the footage... and it is a motiva...
-
A current hyperfixation of this here neurospicy conker is making pouches from bark. Pretty satisfying, since I am slowly getting the gist. ...
-
Some time ago I collected some oak galls because I was feeling inspired by medieval scribe culture. I had made the graphite pen holder and ...
-
This is somewhat of an edit of an ancient post from way back then. But as is, the times have changed a lot, and so has my persp...
-
On Saturday, I was privileged to be part of a big issue for me: I was invited to the creremony of Ms. Mondjungs and Jakub´s wedding, whic...
-
So, as I said, the hunt is on, and I like to circle the topic by etymology first. I learned the variant "Knopmes" is still used i...
-
This is a MilTec assault pack, since I could not afford a Tas, for cheap (39€). Loads of Molle loops, hydration pouch (system is not provide...
-
I recently had an opportunity I could not resist;-). I was craving this knife for some 17 years or so, but did not want to spend that much...