Those are the adventures of Mr. Fimbulmyrk, in bushcraft and blacksmithing, mountainbiking and hiking, reenactment, writing, singing, dancing, stargazing and having a piece of cake and a coffee. Pray have a seat and look around you, but be warned - the forest´s twilight is ferocious at times.
Donnerstag, 19. Januar 2012
Traditional Hungarian hunting knives
This is my collection of traditional Hungarian hunting knives. I am quite interested into the ethnographical and morphogenetic influences of the Oriental, German, French and Hungarian folding hunting knives. Hungarian culture was strongly influenced by Turk-nomadic and other Oriental ethnies. It shows in the form of the blade, which supposedly shows an influence of the "Yatagan" fixed blade knife. The top three are hunting knives, the last was sold to me as a shepherd´s knife. The sickle-like short blade was used to ream the hooves of sheep, the large one. I especially like the one with the curved handle. All of them are slip-joint folders, with a high spring rate, but the one with the curved handle is kept open also by an intelligent geometry of spring and handle. It is virtually impossible to accidentally close the blade when doing sensible work. The steel of all three is stainless, but who knows from what quality;-). Except the second one from top, they hold an edge quite well, and that´s all one could ask for. Top is an Szalóntai István blade, the others are made by Mr. Belenczak. All handmade in Hungary, they come dead cheap nonetheless. Kinda rustic appearance, but that only adds to the charme of those little cutters... I love them and use them a lot as a clasp knife for backing up the backup knife that backs up my backup knife, which backs my backup knife up.*ggg*.
Beliebte Posts
-
On the flea market in Schwelm, where I worked as a member of the organisation team, I found this treasure; a real tribal dagger, which I ...
-
In my relatively...ummmm...vast? . ;-) collection one can find among many others these two knives. For the one below I can safely state t...
-
Bushprowler test by the maker himself is quite impressive. I test my knives myself and felt inspired by the footage... and it is a motiva...
-
Joel suggested a concoction consisting of linseed oil and iron oxide to tan the sheaths. I had some iron oxide left from etching my damas...
-
I recently got some new shoes. I have long considered making my own mocassins, but wasn´t able to get decent aftermarket soles. Of course...
-
Just a quick update on what is up to now: Arm ring from table cutlery... Another one from bronze... This one I found in the fores...
-
This is a new knife project that is almost entirely courtesy of the woods and the deep earth; it is forged out of ancient spring steel wi...
-
The term skóggángr refers to being in the forest for exile. It has an affinity to spirituality, survival and martial arts, and I have establ...
-
It is happening again. It would be a laughing matter if it happened to someone else, but as is, I am not quite sure about it. For I am ...
-
This is a recent experiment I made.. it started as a bush knife with a socket construction... I did a quick linen wrapping and stabilized...