This is what is going to be a Damascus neck whittler, some 70 mm long. I plan on fitting a bigger handle like on Scandi carving designs. The Damascus is made from file and spring steel and welded the dirty way by forging a spatula, rinsing with flux and then folding up to 62 or so layers (I lost count, it was just a welding practice). The piece below came off accidentally.
Spine´s rather thick at 6 mm to zero, but will eventually get a lot thinner.
The blade will get a high convex bevel as usual. The tang will be left that way, for there are some welding flaws still, and that way it will provide a firm enough base. For a simple practice piece it cuts well enough just now, and there are no flaws in the blade so I guess it´ll do. I have a lot to learn still, but I am currently working under shitty circumstances, and I am a bit proud I made the most out of what was at hand.
Those are the adventures of Mr. Fimbulmyrk, in bushcraft and blacksmithing, mountainbiking and hiking, reenactment, writing, singing, dancing, stargazing and having a piece of cake and a coffee. Pray have a seat and look around you, but be warned - the forest´s twilight is ferocious at times.
Beliebte Posts
-
This is part of my not exactly tiny collection of German hunting knives, representatives of a very distinct and ancient style of knife. Y...
-
Bushprowler test by the maker himself is quite impressive. I test my knives myself and felt inspired by the footage... and it is a motiva...
-
On request I am doing a personal evaluation of a very classic bushcraft combination. The famed Roselli hunter and carpenter´s knife. I pur...
-
I had used my beloved friction folder pretty hard. For those of you that are new to the blog, I made it several years ago, from a titanium...
-
Some time ago I collected some oak galls because I was feeling inspired by medieval scribe culture. I had made the graphite pen holder and ...
-
I am not quite sure how to write this positively. I am currently feeling a bit burned out, not necessarily by smithing, but by the circum...
-
On Friday it was ruckus in the smithy again. I wanted to come early to have a chance to pursue my own projects, but to little effect. Jul...
-
A current hyperfixation of this here neurospicy conker is making pouches from bark. Pretty satisfying, since I am slowly getting the gist. ...
-
On a recent bimble I came across this lovely piece of pine wood and thought to get some whittling practice in. Now many people argue ...
-
This is somewhat of an edit of an ancient post from way back then. But as is, the times have changed a lot, and so has my persp...