So the woods called out again, and more so, the song of steel was joining in; so I packed a hacksaw and made for the hills. Cold it was, but the sun came out, and I slowly trod my way up the hillside.
And as always, as the first trees embraced my stride, calm washed over my ravaged soul and soothed my pain.
Deeper yet I walked and higher I came. It was like a walkabout, to find a dream in a piece of steel lying in the woods for a hundred years.
The hills were radiant with a winter sun.
And the light woods faded into the twilight of spruce and fir. And while I like the radiant birch and the elegant beech and the strong oak, the shadow of the twilit spruce woods holds no terror for me, for I was born in a place like this and know its ways well.
The trail lay frozen, enchanted by a crystal veil.
The sun was already sinking when I reached the hilltop, embracing me with shadow.
Through the woods I trod, and there...
...behind a thicket of fallen trees and branches
...there it was that a secret of steel awaited me with its silent, violent song.
Those leaf springs from a forgotten chariot have a carbon content of about 0,75-0,90%.
And make an excellent Nessmuk...;-)
Old leaf spring steel, selective temper, with a hefty blade thickness at 7mm...12cm blade, elk antler scales, high convex bevel, mosaic pins.
And still slicey enough to make a delicious snack.
This knife now bears the soul of the woods, and it gives me more comfort than a run-of the-mill production knife ever could. This is the soul of Tribal knifemaking in my book.
Those are the adventures of Mr. Fimbulmyrk, in bushcraft and blacksmithing, mountainbiking and hiking, reenactment, writing, singing, dancing, stargazing and having a piece of cake and a coffee. Pray have a seat and look around you, but be warned - the forest´s twilight is ferocious at times.
Beliebte Posts
-
On request I am doing a personal evaluation of a very classic bushcraft combination. The famed Roselli hunter and carpenter´s knife. I pur...
-
So I am in a really fascinating process of recreating the Trollstein knife, a knife that had been found in the glacier melt near Trollstei...
-
On the flea market in Schwelm, where I worked as a member of the organisation team, I found this treasure; a real tribal dagger, which I ...
-
This is a new knife project that is almost entirely courtesy of the woods and the deep earth; it is forged out of ancient spring steel wi...
-
After a really shitty day at work I almost ran to the bus to get "out there". It was nearly a run into the thicket, where I at ...
-
I had this knife lying around that did nothing anymore after the blade chipped after testing it hard, but the concept still appeals to ...
-
Now life´s not at all a cheesecake all the time*ggg*, and you can´t make damascus all the time, so here they come: Three new leaf - handle...
-
Ron pointed out somewhat of a weak spot with me... fact is, I make a lot of knives. Noone wants to buy them, and many have a story that i...
-
Birka knife blade [edit: This is not a Birka find, but a Scandinavian iron age design], spring steel, selectively tempered.65x4mm blade. ...
-
Okay, here they come.. some progress shots of my Sica, now aptly named Úlenklawe. In my local vicinity there was a special language spoke...