Views last month

Mittwoch, 24. April 2013

On the bench these days-Sgian Achlais, spoon and seax

 Those are some of many projects currently going on: A handforged spoon out of mild steel with a handle out of reindeer antler, a BIG sgian achlais , spring steel with a yew handle and copper ferrules for a friend of Craig´s, and a hadseax out of wire damascus with a reindeer antler handle.
The sgian achlais with a finished handle, not yet glued nor with the tang peened over the buttcap, for I have to do some grinding still. Wrecked half of my tools, so everything extremely tribal... but rugged to boot. Maybe I´ll do a video test on that knife soon, it certainly can take a beating! As is it chops through antler, oak and ash, carves mild steel rods and still cuts paper. I will take this to test and try harder still!

Kommentare:

  1. "As is it chops through antler, oak and ash, carves mild steel rods and still cuts paper.." Ok...I want to see that myself! I like the knife anyway, and that spoon is sort of rather cute..I haven't made any of those steel spoons yet..though it will be a while before I do, what with a boat to build!

    AntwortenLöschen
  2. It´s spring steel with a selective temper, what do you expect?;-) Ok, I admit I only chopped halfway through the antler for I have none to spare, and the marrow isn´t as hard anyway (the hard part always being the first centimetre, and the oak and ash were not exactly tree trunks (about 6cm diameter). Carving mild steel rods is a standard test of mine. I have forsaken the hammer-on-nails test, because it compromises the long - term strength of a knife that will be given away. I hope to be standing the complete ABS test soon and am training for that. To date some knives will stand that test, some will not, and I have to get more consistent at that. I really hope to get a vid done, but to date have noone to assist me at that... but we´ll see how it goes.

    The spoon actually was my first one, and I was very inspired by Petr Florianek of www.gullinbursti.cz... Look at his facebook site, well worth to look at...

    As for your boat, I am right impressed. That kind of precision craftsmanship where you could get wet feet if you make the tiniest of mistakes is not mine... give me a big lump of steel to pound... But great job, and it more than compensates for your current lack of spoons;-)...

    AntwortenLöschen
  3. Once again put your hands under the UV light to dry the gel Negle Produkter

    AntwortenLöschen

Now go on, discuss and rant and push my ego;-). As long as it´s a respectful message, every comment is welcome!

Beliebte Posts