So, everything is growing like mad, and, being the poor ne´er do well-dewy eyed dreamer that I am (Might as well be called a bum;-)), I set out by bike to do some serious foraging. Apples, it was, near my home, plus some more wild plums, apples the cartload full... lucky me, I brought a BIG rucksack. Next year I´ll build a foraging bike from a frame I still got in my cellar...;-).
More apples....
Blueberries are getting ripe as well;-).
Drui said this is not peppermint, but marjoram... my apologies... it was not toxic, though;-)... seems I am not perfect, after all;-). My thanks for informing me!
A more serious note: Please double check the info, and if you find something that won´t quite fit together, please note me, I am very grateful for it. I am a student of nature myself, and still learning!
Found this fleece blanket lying around in the woods...this actually was one;-).
Salvia officinalis (salvia, in German: Salbei). I collect this for tea and as a spice. as a tea, it´s good against bronchitis (brew with thyme and honey!Or was that time is money?;-)). In summer, it has a cooling effect, and it tastes great! Add some lemon juice and honey to the tea in summer and drink it cool, it´s delicious and refreshing.
´Shrooms are ´shrooming. This is a red cap, and I took it home with me, for it was starting to rain, and I could not stand it getting wet;-).
Wild apples, too. I dry them for tea. You can also take half a pound dark sugar on half a pound coarsely chopped wild apple plus half a handful of melissa, and fill up with one litre of brandy. let it rest for three days in the sun, and three weeks in the dark, pass through, and you have something to cheer on in winter...cheers!
Boskop and wild apples, great for mousse and on bannock and other pancakes or for baking cake! It´s a firm cooking apple, but I also like it as it is. It also keeps fresh a long time.
Something to just relish on and make dried apple rings. For that, remove the pips, and slice in thin rings. Either hang them on twine to dry, or use the oven at 50 degrees Celsius with an open door.
Made myself some wild stew afterwards, with some of the mushrooms, and some dried nettle and salvia fresh from the woods. You need:
1 onion
1 handful of boletus, red or brown caps (or all of them) or whatever non-toxic;-) ´shrooms are to hand;-)
1 cup of pearl barley
1 piece of smoked bacon
potatoes to your liking
three handfuls of dried nettle
1 knifetip salt
2 carrots
pepper to your liking
1 knifetip nutmeg
1 shot of red wine
1small pine cone
five leaves of fresh salvia
2 bay leaves
1 teaspoon juniper berries
Fry onion until glassy, bacon until dark. Add shot of red wine. Add 1 l of water. Add pearl barley, and cook until it opens. Add peeled and chopped potatoes. Add carrots. Cook until done, add water frequently. Turn down the heat, add dried nettles and spices. Chop mushrooms and add. Let them boil, then turn down the heat immediately and let rest for five minutes.
I added some champignons, too. Left the potatoes out, though;-) for I had none;-).
I was all finished, and had a hell of a sore back, but it felt good to actually reap the rewards!
Those are the adventures of Mr. Fimbulmyrk, in bushcraft and blacksmithing, mountainbiking and hiking, reenactment, writing, singing, dancing, stargazing and having a piece of cake and a coffee. Pray have a seat and look around you, but be warned - the forest´s twilight is ferocious at times.
Beliebte Posts
-
On the flea market in Schwelm, where I worked as a member of the organisation team, I found this treasure; a real tribal dagger, which I ...
-
In my relatively...ummmm...vast? . ;-) collection one can find among many others these two knives. For the one below I can safely state t...
-
Bushprowler test by the maker himself is quite impressive. I test my knives myself and felt inspired by the footage... and it is a motiva...
-
Joel suggested a concoction consisting of linseed oil and iron oxide to tan the sheaths. I had some iron oxide left from etching my damas...
-
I recently got some new shoes. I have long considered making my own mocassins, but wasn´t able to get decent aftermarket soles. Of course...
-
Ice was gathering up on my window, and the beams cracked with cold; and the woods did call me to give me lessons of life. So I walked awa...
-
Just a quick update on what is up to now: Arm ring from table cutlery... Another one from bronze... This one I found in the fores...
-
This is a new knife project that is almost entirely courtesy of the woods and the deep earth; it is forged out of ancient spring steel wi...
-
The term skóggángr refers to being in the forest for exile. It has an affinity to spirituality, survival and martial arts, and I have establ...
-
It is happening again. It would be a laughing matter if it happened to someone else, but as is, I am not quite sure about it. For I am ...