Made some jam agam, erm, jelly, that is;-). I started to prepare the elderberries by stripping them with a fork. An old neighbour of mine who runs a restaurant showed me that trick. It makes the job for this impatient guy here almost bearable. I sorted out the dry and the green ones (They contain a huge amount of Cumarine and might interfer with Phenprocumon medicaments against bloodclotting, please consult your doctor before you make elderberry jam).
Some result after five minutes work...
Bad photo of the rowanberries. The photo of the sloe was even worse, so no sloe, woe is me;-). It´s crucial that you deep - freeze them before using them. Alternatively you can let them rest in a vinegar / water emulsion for three days to take out the bitter taste.
Take:
500 g elderberries,
500 g pectinous sugar or honey,
100g sloe (one handful)
100g rowan berries (one handful)
Cook elderberries in their own juice for about five minutes on a low heat. Add the pectinous sugar. Add the rowan berries and the sloe. Cook on a low heat for about half an hour, while constantly stirring. Then squash the berries to a thick mousse. Strain everything through a sieve. If you are the type, you can add a shot or two of fruit schnapps or rum before
filling in sterile vacuum jars. Those I had at hand were not working properly, so I added a sheet of cellophane, a tip from my old mother, but without turning them upside-down. We´ll see how it works... I am a bit sceptical....
The jelly tastes great in my opinion due to the sweet elderberries and the somewhat tartly rowan and sloe. Might not be to everyone´s liking, though.
Those are the adventures of Mr. Fimbulmyrk, in bushcraft and blacksmithing, mountainbiking and hiking, reenactment, writing, singing, dancing, stargazing and having a piece of cake and a coffee. Pray have a seat and look around you, but be warned - the forest´s twilight is ferocious at times.
Montag, 29. August 2011
Holly-Wood Star:-)- Elderberry jelly with rowan and sloe
Beliebte Posts
-
On the flea market in Schwelm, where I worked as a member of the organisation team, I found this treasure; a real tribal dagger, which I ...
-
In my relatively...ummmm...vast? . ;-) collection one can find among many others these two knives. For the one below I can safely state t...
-
Bushprowler test by the maker himself is quite impressive. I test my knives myself and felt inspired by the footage... and it is a motiva...
-
Joel suggested a concoction consisting of linseed oil and iron oxide to tan the sheaths. I had some iron oxide left from etching my damas...
-
I recently got some new shoes. I have long considered making my own mocassins, but wasn´t able to get decent aftermarket soles. Of course...
-
Ice was gathering up on my window, and the beams cracked with cold; and the woods did call me to give me lessons of life. So I walked awa...
-
Just a quick update on what is up to now: Arm ring from table cutlery... Another one from bronze... This one I found in the fores...
-
This is a new knife project that is almost entirely courtesy of the woods and the deep earth; it is forged out of ancient spring steel wi...
-
The term skóggángr refers to being in the forest for exile. It has an affinity to spirituality, survival and martial arts, and I have establ...
-
It is happening again. It would be a laughing matter if it happened to someone else, but as is, I am not quite sure about it. For I am ...