I went into the grove after work yesterday to get some more birch sap, and there were thousands of red ants (formica rufa) in the place. Red ants play a very important role in forest ecology, and it´s great that they prosper in that intensity again. They get rid of vermin and carrion and serve as food for many different species themselves.
Swarming all over the place and enjoying birch sap as much as I do;-).
...
...
...
...
...
I tapped the birch with a new take on the tapping system. I took my blackthorn tap and threaded a piece of plastic tube inside to make for a closed system.
...like this, see...*ggg*?
Coke bottles are great for that. Simply drilled a hole into the cap. Something to think about: We like to think about plastic as trash. But if you consider it´s made from refined mineral oil, and mineral oil ressources are limited, you get another picture concerning the value of our so-called "junk" plastic. Ever wondered why soft drink bottles get ever so much more flimsy and flexible? This is to save money on the production process, and to enhance the ecological balance. I daresay a coke bottle will be a treasure one day, when oil ressources are even more limited.
Found this piece of wood from a fallen birch, too, that will make a fine handle for a staff...
Away I ventured, into the hills;-) and far away... and not a worry on my mind.
...
...
...and the loot;-)
Those are the adventures of Mr. Fimbulmyrk, in bushcraft and blacksmithing, mountainbiking and hiking, reenactment, writing, singing, dancing, stargazing and having a piece of cake and a coffee. Pray have a seat and look around you, but be warned - the forest´s twilight is ferocious at times.
Beliebte Posts
-
On the flea market in Schwelm, where I worked as a member of the organisation team, I found this treasure; a real tribal dagger, which I ...
-
So I am in a really fascinating process of recreating the Trollstein knife, a knife that had been found in the glacier melt near Trollstei...
-
This is a new knife project that is almost entirely courtesy of the woods and the deep earth; it is forged out of ancient spring steel wi...
-
At my recent visit to Solingen I also dropped by the Otter knives booth. Now they were very persuasive;-) and I got this beautiful tradit...
-
In my relatively...ummmm...vast? . ;-) collection one can find among many others these two knives. For the one below I can safely state t...
-
Okay, here they come.. some progress shots of my Sica, now aptly named Úlenklawe. In my local vicinity there was a special language spoke...
-
This is a very special knife with a strong historical background. The blade is made from crucible steel I found in the woods and a middle...
-
Nick and Kathrin had called the other day if I´d wanted to come along visiting the nature art EN expo in the Hülsenbecker valley with t...
-
On the Friday of the week before last week I made for Ahlhauser Hammer ironforge and decided to take the bus and walk the final miles. Th...
-
After a really shitty day at work I almost ran to the bus to get "out there". It was nearly a run into the thicket, where I at ...