Those are the adventures of Mr. Fimbulmyrk, in bushcraft and blacksmithing, mountainbiking and hiking, reenactment, writing, singing, dancing, stargazing and having a piece of cake and a coffee. Pray have a seat and look around you, but be warned - the forest´s twilight is ferocious at times.
Dienstag, 10. Mai 2011
Reprofiled an old blade
This knife you might be familiar with. It has a blade out of the St. Jakobus pilgrim´s trail that runs near my home. The trail is virtually made out of steel, because the woods belonged to some Funcke corporation specializing in making saws, spades, picks and shovels between the big wars. They used their crap metal to fill up the trails. I found some steel that might be something with a carbon content like silver steel, but with a very strange spark image, with dark red, articulated specks amongst the bright ones with articulated star sparks at the end. Took that, forge welded it to a file I found there, too, et voilá. The ferrules are copper, the handle is Caucasian walnut root. It measures in at 87 mm for the blade, with a rather thick spine of 6 mm. I reprofiled it to a Scandi grind and to fit in a Scandi sheath. Since the pattern does not show so brightly anyway, I decided not to etch it. It now cuts wood like mad. Thin slices of salami, that´s another story, though;-). But the, who wants thin slices of salami?;-)
Beliebte Posts
-
This is part of my not exactly tiny collection of German hunting knives, representatives of a very distinct and ancient style of knife. Y...
-
A current hyperfixation of this here neurospicy conker is making pouches from bark. Pretty satisfying, since I am slowly getting the gist. ...
-
This is somewhat of an edit of an ancient post from way back then. But as is, the times have changed a lot, and so has my persp...
-
This is a MilTec assault pack, since I could not afford a Tas, for cheap (39€). Loads of Molle loops, hydration pouch (system is not provide...
-
I had used my beloved friction folder pretty hard. For those of you that are new to the blog, I made it several years ago, from a titanium...
-
It was some two weeks ago, when I went out on an after-work foraging stroll. Winter cometh;-) as they say, so I´d decided to go look for so...
-
The other day I rode out to my favourite creek to do some dipping and crafting, and I got some... nooootions. 😉 You know, my beloved mag...
-
The other day I came across some Gunnera and was pretty amazed about the pliability and durability of the fibres. Since there have been som...
-
So, as I said, the hunt is on, and I like to circle the topic by etymology first. I learned the variant "Knopmes" is still used i...
-
I tried out a new recipe with Cornelian Cherry, which are quite abundant this year. They are pretty tangy in flavor, with a nice balance bet...