Those are the adventures of Mr. Fimbulmyrk, in bushcraft and blacksmithing, mountainbiking and hiking, reenactment, writing, singing, dancing, stargazing and having a piece of cake and a coffee. Pray have a seat and look around you, but be warned - the forest´s twilight is ferocious at times.
Montag, 16. Mai 2011
Study and (mild;-)) review of a Janos Madaras Hungarian hunting knife
This one is one of the highlights in my collection, and I like it quite a lot. It´s a blade made by Janos Madaras, 95 mm long and 440 C. It has a perfect, razor-like hollow grind that is so elastic, it shows a continuous wave when drawn over a testing steel rod, yet works to carve the same steel. It has an integral bolster, the rivets and the washers are handmade. The washers are nickel silver, the rivets bronze. The baroque engraving is hand made by the maker, as is the sheath from thick, naturally tanned and formed leather.
Akanthus engraving and hollow grind detail.
The blade gets continuously thinner to the tip, a hint to being hand - forged (which it is). The scales from stag antler are hand-fitted with not so much as 1 / 10 mm tolerance.
The hollow grind to nearly zero, and the bolster part. The only thing not so precise is the small leftover part from the blade´s ricasso on the bolster.
The hollow grind ground absolutely symmetrically.
So, I normally test my knives to the max. With this knife I am somewhat reluctant. I love its beauty, and the extreme cutting prowess. I even used it to shave my facial hair, for it has all the properties a good razor has, too! It cuts onion slices so thin you can see your dinner dated girlfriend through... can´t see why noone wants to date me...hmpf;-).
Beliebte Posts
-
This is part of my not exactly tiny collection of German hunting knives, representatives of a very distinct and ancient style of knife. Y...
-
A current hyperfixation of this here neurospicy conker is making pouches from bark. Pretty satisfying, since I am slowly getting the gist. ...
-
This is somewhat of an edit of an ancient post from way back then. But as is, the times have changed a lot, and so has my persp...
-
This is a MilTec assault pack, since I could not afford a Tas, for cheap (39€). Loads of Molle loops, hydration pouch (system is not provide...
-
I had used my beloved friction folder pretty hard. For those of you that are new to the blog, I made it several years ago, from a titanium...
-
It was some two weeks ago, when I went out on an after-work foraging stroll. Winter cometh;-) as they say, so I´d decided to go look for so...
-
The other day I rode out to my favourite creek to do some dipping and crafting, and I got some... nooootions. 😉 You know, my beloved mag...
-
The other day I came across some Gunnera and was pretty amazed about the pliability and durability of the fibres. Since there have been som...
-
So, as I said, the hunt is on, and I like to circle the topic by etymology first. I learned the variant "Knopmes" is still used i...
-
I tried out a new recipe with Cornelian Cherry, which are quite abundant this year. They are pretty tangy in flavor, with a nice balance bet...