So, some two weeks ago, I went to the smithy again, for there was work to be done;-). Daniel dropped by, too, and helped out, too. I really like this: Daniel is 17 years old, Michael an Volker are in their sixties, I am a mid-thirty guy, and we all work together without so much of any ado whatsoever. The kids had fun, too, as you can easily see! This is Daniel doing the finish on a miniature horseshoe.
Michael at the forge... need I make many words? Those two know their trade. Sometimes (and on that day especially), things go awry a bit, but that does not keep them from successfully making kids happy and fascinated, and that´s what it´s all about in my book. They just keep the fire burning!;-)
That´s quite some work bench, eh? Not many smiths have an old cocktail table for a tool bench, I guess;-):
The girls wanted to have fun, too;-). Michael is forging
one of the kids´favourites, a snake out of rebar.
OOOOHHHH, and what might be hidden in the forge for Fimbulmyrk????;-)
The En-Nep from last time, tempered, engraved with a chisel, and drilled for scales...
Did I mention I messed up the drilling on this one? I messed up the drilling on this one. Did I mention...;-) Anyway, no harm done, really, it´s just for myself to try and test it out, and there will be some scales to go over the mess...;-)
Those are the adventures of Mr. Fimbulmyrk, in bushcraft and blacksmithing, mountainbiking and hiking, reenactment, writing, singing, dancing, stargazing and having a piece of cake and a coffee. Pray have a seat and look around you, but be warned - the forest´s twilight is ferocious at times.
Beliebte Posts
-
On the flea market in Schwelm, where I worked as a member of the organisation team, I found this treasure; a real tribal dagger, which I ...
-
So I am in a really fascinating process of recreating the Trollstein knife, a knife that had been found in the glacier melt near Trollstei...
-
This is a new knife project that is almost entirely courtesy of the woods and the deep earth; it is forged out of ancient spring steel wi...
-
At my recent visit to Solingen I also dropped by the Otter knives booth. Now they were very persuasive;-) and I got this beautiful tradit...
-
In my relatively...ummmm...vast? . ;-) collection one can find among many others these two knives. For the one below I can safely state t...
-
Okay, here they come.. some progress shots of my Sica, now aptly named Úlenklawe. In my local vicinity there was a special language spoke...
-
This is a very special knife with a strong historical background. The blade is made from crucible steel I found in the woods and a middle...
-
Nick and Kathrin had called the other day if I´d wanted to come along visiting the nature art EN expo in the Hülsenbecker valley with t...
-
On the Friday of the week before last week I made for Ahlhauser Hammer ironforge and decided to take the bus and walk the final miles. Th...
-
After a really shitty day at work I almost ran to the bus to get "out there". It was nearly a run into the thicket, where I at ...