Currently on the bench and waiting for the finish is another Fimbulmuk design;-). I really love this style of knife. I have a great respect for George Washington Sears, not necessarily because I just think his more prosaic works are useful (they are, still, if you adapt them to modern times) or because he was a special man (he was) and a poet (he was) and an accomplished outdoorsman, but because he lived-in spite of all the adversities and difficulties he found a way to live his life. So a Nessmuk, while being a practical design, always is a kind of statement to me, a tribute to the ol´man.
This one is made from 19th century crucible steel and that steel might actually have some of the same properties the Nessmuk knife´s steel originally had. The tang has yet to be drilled out for balance, and there is still some flaw on one side that I have to get rid of, but then it will be good, I guess...look forward to it.
Those are the adventures of Mr. Fimbulmyrk, in bushcraft and blacksmithing, mountainbiking and hiking, reenactment, writing, singing, dancing, stargazing and having a piece of cake and a coffee. Pray have a seat and look around you, but be warned - the forest´s twilight is ferocious at times.
Freitag, 5. Februar 2016
On the bench-Nessmuk full tang
Beliebte Posts
-
This post is a very difficult one to me. There is a blogger whose blog I follow. He has many valuable thoughts and has inspired me ...
-
When at Erich´s, my would-be father-in-law;-)´s place, he showed us his competition recurve bow. Erich is German official handicapped pers...
-
Volker called the other day and asked if I´d come to work on Saturday, so I saddled my steed and rode through the snowstorm to Witten. ...
-
I tend to be bit lazy when leatherwork is concerned, but not because I do not enjoy it. Yesterday I found my resolve and made this belt po...
-
This project has cost me quite some nerves... and it has been on the bench for a long time. The handle failed several times. Now it´s fin...
-
I recently had an opportunity I could not resist;-). I was craving this knife for some 17 years or so, but did not want to spend that much...
-
On Tuesday, Istopped by the Bethaus smithy do do some projects for myself. First and foremostly, I had that urge again to do another bush...
-
It´s getting cooler, and I still wanted a Sarouel pants... so I made one from wool I had lying around for ages. I simply like this style o...
-
On Tuesday I simply needed to get out into the woods. I wanted for the silence and solitude of the green, of the song of the wind in the ...
-
Oktoberfest im Bethaus der Bergleute am 13.10.2012 – Ein Heidenspass für die ganze Familie! Das historische Bethaus der Bergleute, ...