On the flea market in Schwelm, where I worked as a member of the organisation team, I found this treasure; a real tribal dagger, which I guess might be a Nuba dagger, for i have seen similar designs. It came with a beautifully and skillfully made leather sheath. The handle is some hardwood which I have not yet identified.
The blade is fitted into the handle by a simple hole, and it looks as if it wasn´t glued in, but simply NAILED... dead ugly, but these knives have to work, and the knife looks like it has seen quite a bit of working-no petty art knives here;-).
The blade is excellently tempered and skillfully forged spring steel with a thickness of about 1,2 mm. Try tempering that selectively without warping, and selectively tempered it seems to be! The blade carves mild steel rods but is flexible to boot. The edge had some dents close to the handle which might be due to bone contact or simply rust.
The backside of the sheath is skillfully sewed together. There is a plaited knot to secure the handle.
The best part is, it cost me 3,00€.*ggg*
Those are the adventures of Mr. Fimbulmyrk, in bushcraft and blacksmithing, mountainbiking and hiking, reenactment, writing, singing, dancing, stargazing and having a piece of cake and a coffee. Pray have a seat and look around you, but be warned - the forest´s twilight is ferocious at times.
Beliebte Posts
-
I had used my beloved friction folder pretty hard. For those of you that are new to the blog, I made it several years ago, from a titanium...
-
This is part of my not exactly tiny collection of German hunting knives, representatives of a very distinct and ancient style of knife. Y...
-
A current hyperfixation of this here neurospicy conker is making pouches from bark. Pretty satisfying, since I am slowly getting the gist. ...
-
This is somewhat of an edit of an ancient post from way back then. But as is, the times have changed a lot, and so has my persp...
-
This is a MilTec assault pack, since I could not afford a Tas, for cheap (39€). Loads of Molle loops, hydration pouch (system is not provide...
-
I am not quite sure how to write this positively. I am currently feeling a bit burned out, not necessarily by smithing, but by the circum...
-
The other day I rode out to my favourite creek to do some dipping and crafting, and I got some... nooootions. 😉 You know, my beloved mag...
-
It was some two weeks ago, when I went out on an after-work foraging stroll. Winter cometh;-) as they say, so I´d decided to go look for so...
-
Some time ago I collected some oak galls because I was feeling inspired by medieval scribe culture. I had made the graphite pen holder and ...
-
Bushprowler test by the maker himself is quite impressive. I test my knives myself and felt inspired by the footage... and it is a motiva...