I was at Kai´s place some days ago, and he had some new goodies ready. This one is a camp knife he made from 1.2842 steel, if I am not entirely mistaken, forged and ground, with a handle from beech with a fungus infestation that makes for an interesting grain. Unfortunately, he did a bit too much of a good thing and ground through the wood to the tang. But, hey, boy do I know how that is! All art is a recovery from the first step, and I really look forward how he will solve the problem, guess we´re in for a surprise;-). Other than that, a very clean blade shape, with a good tempering.
This one I really like a lot, another one, this time a stock removal from 1.2842, with a beautiful wood handle, which I guess is plum or something like that. Really cleanly accomplished, not too thick in the spine and it handles like a cinch. Tempering seems to be spot on, too!
Kai is really making a huge progress, and his knives certainly tell me something. Great, and my respect to you!
Those are the adventures of Mr. Fimbulmyrk, in bushcraft and blacksmithing, mountainbiking and hiking, reenactment, writing, singing, dancing, stargazing and having a piece of cake and a coffee. Pray have a seat and look around you, but be warned - the forest´s twilight is ferocious at times.
Beliebte Posts
-
So I am in a really fascinating process of recreating the Trollstein knife, a knife that had been found in the glacier melt near Trollstei...
-
On request I am doing a personal evaluation of a very classic bushcraft combination. The famed Roselli hunter and carpenter´s knife. I pur...
-
On the flea market in Schwelm, where I worked as a member of the organisation team, I found this treasure; a real tribal dagger, which I ...
-
This is a new knife project that is almost entirely courtesy of the woods and the deep earth; it is forged out of ancient spring steel wi...
-
After a really shitty day at work I almost ran to the bus to get "out there". It was nearly a run into the thicket, where I at ...
-
I had this knife lying around that did nothing anymore after the blade chipped after testing it hard, but the concept still appeals to ...
-
Ron pointed out somewhat of a weak spot with me... fact is, I make a lot of knives. Noone wants to buy them, and many have a story that i...
-
Birka knife blade [edit: This is not a Birka find, but a Scandinavian iron age design], spring steel, selectively tempered.65x4mm blade. ...
-
Okay, here they come.. some progress shots of my Sica, now aptly named Úlenklawe. In my local vicinity there was a special language spoke...
-
Nick and Kathrin had called the other day if I´d wanted to come along visiting the nature art EN expo in the Hülsenbecker valley with t...