Views last month

Donnerstag, 8. September 2016

Máandevvos es báren!

 This is a project that has taken quite some time and energy to make-and was great fun to accomplish. It is a kind of talisman to me, for there is another unlikely Fimbulmyrk tale involved. Some of my faithful readers already know that some years ago I was strolling home through a moonlit forest, when I came across a fox on its prowl, and this fox was quite certainly not acting as a fox should do. Seeing my headlamp, he actually came over to me. At first I thought he was being rabid, and was very cautious, of course, but he did not show any symptoms apart from that and after a closer scrutiny appeared cautious himself. He approached me with some kind of cautious interest. So I went into a crouch and greeted him. He sniffed at my hand, and when I got up again, he looked up and walked beside me. And then I saw an old chisel embedded in the trail. Of course I took it home.

The fox left me at the edge of the woods and went back on its merry way. And the moon shone bright.

So, after quite a while, I decided to make a knife from the piece of scrap.

Let me refer to that talisman thing. It´s far more simple, of course, and I am not quite sure if I should call it that name in the first. For there is a weird and wonderful thing that had happened to me, a plain wonder, and I cherish the memory, even the imminent danger in it. I am full aware of the fact that the fox COULD have had rabies and that I might be dead by now. I might also have been dead after riding through a lightning storm and lightning strike, but, fact is, I am still alive. And do not get me wrong, I am not fond of danger at all, but fact is also, life is a constant imminent lethal danger we face. And I am not seeking the brush of death. It is always there, that´s the one certainity we all have.

As is, it is a weird, wonderful and fond memory of sharing in with a wild, wild animal, an animal known for its stealth and cautiousness. And that chisel just was a piece of scrap metal.

I made a knife from it. Period. Nothing more... but nothing less.

There is this local legend about a wanderer who was given a fox as a guide through the darkness of the underground dwarven realms. It is a story. Nothing more... but nothing less.

The chisel and the knife are of no significance.

But they make a wonderful kind of sense to me. The knife is a story, my life is a story, and I live it. Nothing more, and nothing less. Life is sometimes a shitty mess. A good knife can help you out of a lot of fixes (and I am talking cutting cord, preparing meals, whittling little helpful things and opening boxes :-)) And when I look at this knife, I know that life actually has a stronger, deeper sense than a world of significance and matter wants to sell to you. When I remember the story, I am full of hope, because I do not have to have to make-believe (no offence meant), for I KNOW. When I look at the "talisman", therefore I hope. And it helps me out in a very concrete manner. The blade cuts like a razor, being a high carbon crucible steel with tungsten and a carbon content of roundabout 0,9%.


 Keeping the story of the dwarven guide in mind, I choose bog oak for a handle, that lay submerged in iron oxide water for some 100 years in an old coal mine in the Muttental.
 I already made a dangler sheath for it with a handforged swan´s neck dangler.
 Lousy picture, I freely admit ;-)...
Overall, it is a new story in my life that helps me keeping up my work... I like it.

Kommentare:

  1. I've been reading you for a few weeks, my only complaint is you don't post often enough!

    AntwortenLöschen
    Antworten
    1. I am working on the problem and might come back to you as soon as I can evaluate it... ;-)

      Anyway, thanks for the kind words!

      Löschen
  2. An awesome knife and an awesome story!
    Stories.... It is what keeps us alive, inspires and motivates us, defines who and what we are.
    After all, aren't we all some form of story ourselves?

    AntwortenLöschen
    Antworten
    1. That´s exactly what I mean, Ron... and it´s how we write it that counts in the end.

      Löschen

Now go on, discuss and rant and push my ego;-). As long as it´s a respectful message, every comment is welcome!

Beliebte Posts