Freitag, 23. Februar 2024

First flint and steel fire starting success

Today I have reached another milestone in my learning. Just started my first fire with flint and steel. 

 The striker I forged myself ages ago from junk file steel,  and of course I processed the Amadou myself. 

I also used treated Cattail seeds as a fire starting agent. Which worked really awesome. 

Now,  some of the more survival minded folks might say "why bother,  if I can carry a flint and steel set,  I can just as well use a BIC lighter", and yes,  you are right,  but you maybe miss my point here. 

In fact,  it actually is more of a bit of psychological self-care and historical fascination that drives me. It is not as much about the thing or the fact you just started a fire with a piece of steel- it is about knowledge. Of having forged the striker from junk people discarded,  of having processed the tinder,  of understanding the chemistry and the principles,  and the almost alchemical context involved. 

You can lose your lighter,  your matches,  your ferro rod,  but you most argueably will not use your knowledge. The more you understand the principles,  the more likely you are to not only survive. Survival is not enough. It cannot be a way of life. You cannot exist in Code Black all the time. 

I personally always look for ressources. Everything can be used,  you just need to know how. It is really fun to learn new things. 

Our culture is of course really advanced scientifically,  and that is a good thing. But sometimes I get the impression that we did not grow to that point. We did not keep up with our own pace. So we jumped to that point,  taking a lot of shortcuts. We are just now paying the price for that. 

Processing tinder,  making birch pitch, firecraft, preserving and processing food,  distilling and baking and cooking are the roots of medicine and chemistry. And alchemy. Do not get me wrong,  alchemists maybe were the ones that invented scam. Éa-Nasír is famous for his fake copper ingots until today. 

But what we forget is that it was Maria of Egypt who invented the pressure cooker and the Bain Marie,  and her recipe for the lapis philosophorum and the homunculus most argueably involved making Adamantoplasts and Osteoplasts. 

Well,  that is stuff for a different post. But it also explains why I bother to try as I might to learn stuff like starting a fire with flint and steel. Why you can strike sparks with a file and a stone is fascinating in its own right. Why the Amadou works also explains part of its medicinal properties. 

And this is a really great example for the fact that a lot of things are interconnected. It is a bit like that phrase "by word to word I was led,  work led me to work." . Actually,  that is a scientific principle,  one of very many,  but also sort of a spiritual practice. 

This is what drives me. Sometimes I think it drives me mad,  but I could not possibly live another man's life. Tried that for decades. Was shit. 😉

So,  I had a lot of fun learning it. It was of course also humbling to get there, and really testing for my patience and resilience, and it is but a first step.  But I also learned a lot about learning,  and about patience and resilience and trying not to be a dickhead. 😉

Which is something,  too. 

Anyway,  now I am in for more practice to make the learning sustainable. Which I am really looking forward to. 



Beliebte Posts