I made a Nessmuk some months ago. It really, really felt good, the tempering was on the spot, but something always felt awkward. I could not quite put my finger on what was so awkward, until I made a balance test and realized that the stag antler crown, which was really beautiful, compromised the handling. I eventually stopped using it for that reason. But a knife you don´t use is of no use. And since it felt good otherwise, I had to make a decision that involved a hacksaw. I turned it over and over in my hand, and finally got my resolve, and simply got on with it. I contemplated fitting a copper buttcap, but took a pair of wild pig´s teeth I had found in the woods instead.
What can I say... it feels completely right now, and even if I could have done it a bit more cleanly, I like the new look. The stag antler crown, however, will not be wasted, as will the rune disc amulet. Watch this space. I have now used the knife thoroughly, and enjoy it. I found out that the balance point for me should be on the ferrule or bolster for a knife up to 12 cm blade length.
Those are the adventures of Mr. Fimbulmyrk, in bushcraft and blacksmithing, mountainbiking and hiking, reenactment, writing, singing, dancing, stargazing and having a piece of cake and a coffee. Pray have a seat and look around you, but be warned - the forest´s twilight is ferocious at times.
Beliebte Posts
-
This is part of my not exactly tiny collection of German hunting knives, representatives of a very distinct and ancient style of knife. Y...
-
A current hyperfixation of this here neurospicy conker is making pouches from bark. Pretty satisfying, since I am slowly getting the gist. ...
-
This is somewhat of an edit of an ancient post from way back then. But as is, the times have changed a lot, and so has my persp...
-
This is a MilTec assault pack, since I could not afford a Tas, for cheap (39€). Loads of Molle loops, hydration pouch (system is not provide...
-
I had used my beloved friction folder pretty hard. For those of you that are new to the blog, I made it several years ago, from a titanium...
-
It was some two weeks ago, when I went out on an after-work foraging stroll. Winter cometh;-) as they say, so I´d decided to go look for so...
-
The other day I rode out to my favourite creek to do some dipping and crafting, and I got some... nooootions. 😉 You know, my beloved mag...
-
The other day I came across some Gunnera and was pretty amazed about the pliability and durability of the fibres. Since there have been som...
-
So, as I said, the hunt is on, and I like to circle the topic by etymology first. I learned the variant "Knopmes" is still used i...
-
I tried out a new recipe with Cornelian Cherry, which are quite abundant this year. They are pretty tangy in flavor, with a nice balance bet...