Montag, 27. Juli 2026

Paleolithic breechcloth from Gunnera

The other day I came across some Gunnera and was pretty amazed about the pliability and durability of the fibres.  Since there have been some new insights lately about paleolithic clothing, I thought I would give it a go.  Not an archaeological experiment yet, since no decent documentation yet, just a first try at making something more textile which is nothing short of a key skill. Extracting the fibres is dead easy: you just break the stalks and remove the bark and split it with your fingernails.  I then made some cordage...

The first 2m I just fingerlooped together.  
Made another 2m. 
And another.  
 
Using a wooden needle I carved from elm I looped stuff together any which way. The magic troll might have a lot to say to that, but I imagine that it was not much different to the way our ancestors learned.  
To date, that is a friggin 6m of cordage.  I will keep you posted! 

Beliebte Posts