Sonntag, 30. Juni 2024

A use for the #Victorinox multi purpose hook



Now those Victorinox Swiss Army knives are really a strange thing. I mean, I do make knives myself, and some of them are pretty decent ahem, and I own quite a lot of production knives.  As a kid, I was into those Rambo movies like many others and had to have a Rambo knife. Broke it in no time, of course, because crap.  Got a Ka-Bar lookalike (yes, those WERE different times, and NO, I never, ever, hurt anyone  but myself). But I also carried a small Wenger SAK in my pocket.  I still have it, after 47years.  I sharpened, as in reprofiled it, maybe twice in all these years.  

I grew up in the woods, as you guys know.  I really used my knives. Ages ago, I went on the bushcraft train, mostly because it was simply a name for what I have done all my life.  I have never claimed to be the best or even mediocre, I just kept doing what I have always done.  

Now, with coming of age, so to say, I find that more often than not, I just take my SAK, sometimes two, into the woods, actually, and the guys who know me personally will cry out now "Wut?" , leaving my other knives at home.  Not because of some fear of the authorities or for other ideological reasons. But because these knives, provided you know how to use them, have little to no limitations as to what you can do with them. 

They are some of the most underrated and misunderstood knives in the bushcraft and survival community.  I say that because, like it or not, you will most possibly not use a knife against a wild boar attack.  Not even a Khukhuri.  Plus, like that or not, we are also not allowed to do any such thing as wild camping or starting a fire outside designated campsites. All that tactical special forces mumbo jumbo is just hot wind.  You can go foraging inside very strict regulations, take home a certain amount of mushrooms and other natural provisions, and if it is tolerated by the authorities, take a small diametre deadwood stick to whittle.  You are not entitled to sleep in the woods whatsoever, except in an emergency.  There are slightly lighter regulations on private property, but actually it is almost like that even the owner is not allowed to do anything in the woods than selling timber and planting trees.  

What you can do with a knife in the forests of Germany is strictly limited.  Of course I do love my Helle Fjellkniven Eggen, Norwegian hunting knife, and Temagami, my Casström Woodsman and No10 and all those other lovely bushcraft knives.  Using them gives you the feeling as if you were free.  But since you are not allowed to take wood for a fire, there is no need for batoning or anything like that. If you want to split wood for a spoon, fork or netting needle, well, the SAK can do this, too, if you know what you are doing.  

Now I must admit, I dismissed these knives for a long time, until Felix Immler made me see the light. Visit his YouTube channel https://youtube.com/@feliximmler?si=cAjloXVcVbsHkXh_ 
if you haven't already or buy his books, what this guy does certainly is an eye-  opener. What I want to say is that I simply wasn't aware of how versatile these mini toolboxes actually were.  


Take this multi-purpose hook, for instance. A lot of people would like not to have it on the knife.  Maybe it is not essential. I thought as much myself.  But it is a really handy asset on the knife if you learn how to use it.  I used it for making cordage from grass, which really worked great.  




 There is a saying in Southern Germany: "Des is koa rechta Bua', hoat ka Feitl und ka Schnur. "(That is not a real boy who has neither cordage nor knife). With a SAK, you can have both.  Now that I am getting old 'ish I realize that even as a kid, when I always had a more or less huge knife on my belt, the even smaller Wenger was what I used most.  

If you want to do feathersticking there is no faster way I know of than using a SAK.  

Do not get me wrong. It is a reality check, maybe a reality shock, for me, too.  Maybe it is a case of "the more you know, the less you carry". 

Anyway, if you leave the "special forces" mumbo jumbo behind you, a SAK is a world of its own to discover.  I would not throw away my other knives for the properties of the Vics.  Of course not.  But before you dismiss a SAK because it lacks prestige, you might try out the many possibilities.  

My pants are a whole lot lighter now least.  😉 

Beliebte Posts