I have been meaning to carve myself a Nåalhus for ages now. Now for those who never heard of it, it is exactly what it sounds like. Originally deriving from Sáami culture, it is, plain and simply put, a "house" for your needles, a needle case to be worn on the belt alongside your knife and firesteel equipment. Typically, it stowes away the needles, stuck into a cloth and sometimes secured by additional leather flaps, which rests in a case typically made from reindeer antler or bone, but also sometimes wood, being secured by a rather intelligent combination of gravity and friction. I personally think it is genius. Now I wanted to set myself a challenge to make it entirely with a Victorinox SAK, and only from stuff that was lying in the woods not doing anything, also because I also want to do a fancy-schmancy version in antler soon. I drilled two holes from either side of the piece with the awl, and made a long hole by sawing out the middle. Needs a bit of patience, but it is perfectly doable. You can also remove the middle part by using the blade.
That said, I actually left it on a bigger piece in order to better being able to handle it. When I had done the drilling, I carved the outline of the body of the case.
After that, I sawed it off.
A bit of cleaning going on, and I actually put an angle into the bottom to create a bit more of a friction fit.
Splitting and carving the bottom. Now to carve a ring for the top.
Also I am currently contemplating what to use as a cloth. Originally I had planned to make it from Amadou, also the flaps, but it, while being an awesome material in its own right, has its shortcomings, at least mine has still, because it is not very homogenous. So maybe I will use leather and cloth from an old couch I found in the junk... we will see. I hope to show you some progress soon!
Those are the adventures of Mr. Fimbulmyrk, in bushcraft and blacksmithing, mountainbiking and hiking, reenactment, writing, singing, dancing, stargazing and having a piece of cake and a coffee. Pray have a seat and look around you, but be warned - the forest´s twilight is ferocious at times.
Beliebte Posts
-
This is part of my not exactly tiny collection of German hunting knives, representatives of a very distinct and ancient style of knife. Y...
-
Bushprowler test by the maker himself is quite impressive. I test my knives myself and felt inspired by the footage... and it is a motiva...
-
Some time ago I collected some oak galls because I was feeling inspired by medieval scribe culture. I had made the graphite pen holder and ...
-
On request I am doing a personal evaluation of a very classic bushcraft combination. The famed Roselli hunter and carpenter´s knife. I pur...
-
I had used my beloved friction folder pretty hard. For those of you that are new to the blog, I made it several years ago, from a titanium...
-
I am not quite sure how to write this positively. I am currently feeling a bit burned out, not necessarily by smithing, but by the circum...
-
You all have read my post about the Knifemaker´s Fair in Solingen Klingenmuseum which...
-
On Friday it was ruckus in the smithy again. I wanted to come early to have a chance to pursue my own projects, but to little effect. Jul...
-
A current hyperfixation of this here neurospicy conker is making pouches from bark. Pretty satisfying, since I am slowly getting the gist. ...
-
On a recent bimble I came across this lovely piece of pine wood and thought to get some whittling practice in. Now many people argue ...





