Mittwoch, 19. Juni 2013

New integral from steel I found in the woods

This is one of my current projects "on the bench", a semi-integral from quite an interesting piece of steel. As it seems, the steel rod I found was from an old corporation producing shears, saws and spades and gardening tools from the late 19th century up to the 1950s. I found an old receipt lying nearby, nearly unintelligibly, for 50 shears. Since I found ingots and spillings from a smelting process closely by, I assume that the bar might have been crucible steel. Spark analysis showed a carbon content of roundabout 0,8-1,2% with little othe ingredients. It forged best at roundabout 1000-1100 degrees Celsius and had a relatively small window of forging. It took a  good temper in an edge quench with conservative annealing, and it still carves iron rods;-). We will see what happens when I etch it... Also, I will make a butt cap, and there she goes...;-) Lousy pic, apologies for that. The handle is burned stag antler.

Beliebte Posts