If you are looking into going out into the woods, doing woodwork and bushcrafting, you might get a bit intimif´dated by all the latest paraphernalia. Those Grylls and Mears and Lundins running around and telling you what you need often might leave you with the impression you have to get a bank credit to even get started. And of course it has to be the latest Gerber Bear Grylls signature toolkit you need. Now I am a geardo myself, and I know that supplies might be short sometimes;-). I won´t tell you what you need. But I strongly suspect that it´s not necessary to spend a fortune on gear to get out into the woods and enjoy nature. Face it: Those guys make a living buying and selling, and NOT running through woods half-naked. That´s just for the show. Even if those tips are working, and it is not to be said that their shows are a fallacy. I have yet to learn a great deal of bush lore, and I keep learning from those shows, too. But they are entertainers, and marketing businessmen rather than "real" people. So you can question the gear money can buy a tiny bit.
These Moras are an example. The blades pictured you can get from 12-15€, the knives from 7-75€, and the most expensive version might not even be necessary. I simply love these knives. They cut well for a thin spine and a thin Scandi flat bevel. They are laminate steel that will rather bend than break. They get the job done. Period.
You can always do better. You can buy or make a different knife. If it will be better, remains to be seen. So when you first-timers look into buying a knife, look no further. Of course, if you have to sneak up on sentries all the time or kill alligators or lions, they might be a bit undergunned;-). But since I go mushroom hunting, collecting herbs, prepping food for cooking and snacks, do some carving and whittling, and build shelters, these are all you need for those tasks.
Those are the adventures of Mr. Fimbulmyrk, in bushcraft and blacksmithing, mountainbiking and hiking, reenactment, writing, singing, dancing, stargazing and having a piece of cake and a coffee. Pray have a seat and look around you, but be warned - the forest´s twilight is ferocious at times.
Beliebte Posts
-
I had used my beloved friction folder pretty hard. For those of you that are new to the blog, I made it several years ago, from a titanium...
-
This is part of my not exactly tiny collection of German hunting knives, representatives of a very distinct and ancient style of knife. Y...
-
A current hyperfixation of this here neurospicy conker is making pouches from bark. Pretty satisfying, since I am slowly getting the gist. ...
-
This is somewhat of an edit of an ancient post from way back then. But as is, the times have changed a lot, and so has my persp...
-
This is a MilTec assault pack, since I could not afford a Tas, for cheap (39€). Loads of Molle loops, hydration pouch (system is not provide...
-
I am not quite sure how to write this positively. I am currently feeling a bit burned out, not necessarily by smithing, but by the circum...
-
The other day I rode out to my favourite creek to do some dipping and crafting, and I got some... nooootions. 😉 You know, my beloved mag...
-
It was some two weeks ago, when I went out on an after-work foraging stroll. Winter cometh;-) as they say, so I´d decided to go look for so...
-
Some time ago I collected some oak galls because I was feeling inspired by medieval scribe culture. I had made the graphite pen holder and ...
-
Bushprowler test by the maker himself is quite impressive. I test my knives myself and felt inspired by the footage... and it is a motiva...