On Saturday morning I rode to the smithy to do some forging with Ulla. I got to know her on the "Imkerfest" in Sprockhövel, and she asked if I would teach her to make a fibula.
Of course I would;-), and this is what came out. I forged the needle, the rest was some collaborative work.
Then I tutored her forging a wall hanger. She did extremely well, and did it all by herself. We had some jokes, and some very good-natured talk in the progress. Another encounter I feel privileged to have made. I really like those people I get to meet these days, and my life is the richer for it.
Ulla learning how to use the forge and building a fire. She did well at that, too. That the forge went out while doing the finishing work on the fibula was all my fault... that coal does not keep the fire very good, and I forgot to add some wood to sustain it.
Ah, yes, and some kids dropped by, too, and we forged this snake and a bottle opener.
It was lunchtime when all was said and done. Ulla really enjoyed it, and since she really loves to read fairy tales to children, she will work for the Bethaus also. I look foward to having her as a co-worker!
Those are the adventures of Mr. Fimbulmyrk, in bushcraft and blacksmithing, mountainbiking and hiking, reenactment, writing, singing, dancing, stargazing and having a piece of cake and a coffee. Pray have a seat and look around you, but be warned - the forest´s twilight is ferocious at times.
Beliebte Posts
-
A current hyperfixation of this here neurospicy conker is making pouches from bark. Pretty satisfying, since I am slowly getting the gist. ...
-
This is part of my not exactly tiny collection of German hunting knives, representatives of a very distinct and ancient style of knife. Y...
-
This is somewhat of an edit of an ancient post from way back then. But as is, the times have changed a lot, and so has my persp...
-
I tried out a new recipe with Cornelian Cherry, which are quite abundant this year. They are pretty tangy in flavor, with a nice balance bet...
-
This is a MilTec assault pack, since I could not afford a Tas, for cheap (39€). Loads of Molle loops, hydration pouch (system is not provide...
-
I had used my beloved friction folder pretty hard. For those of you that are new to the blog, I made it several years ago, from a titanium...
-
Now many of you readers expect me to take a stand towards what happened in the political scene worldwide. But you must be mad, and I won´t p...
-
It was some two weeks ago, when I went out on an after-work foraging stroll. Winter cometh;-) as they say, so I´d decided to go look for so...
-
In my relatively...ummmm...vast? . ;-) collection one can find among many others these two knives. For the one below I can safely state t...
-
Now this is the blade I featured some time ago, a not-so-authentic version of the Daco-/Gallo-/ Roman sica knife. Arguably not so authenti...