Freitag, 1. Juli 2022

A spoon and a pouch


 I have been doing a lot of small bushcrafty projects lately. I find it is soothing to my mind to know how to create things out of nothing. 

Do not get me wrong - I know perfectly well all of the stuff I know is not relevant. I am just biding my time. I am waiting for death, nothing less, nothing more. No so - called "Survival skills" will save us. There are a lot of people knowing a lot more than myself. But all of us are inevitably doomed. The lunatics ruling us will make sure of that. Nuff said.

But how I spend the time until they finally pull the trigger, is none of their business, not yet.

Making things in the woods makes me happy. Of course they do not want anyone to be happy, so I try to be as happy as possible. Maybe this is childish, but I do not care. I do not do this against anyone, but for my soul. Just because I have the custom not to soil it with their swamp, if not because I believe in something greater. Something good. Who knows? It is not fashionable to believe in anything anymore, but I am an old fart, so I am entitled not to be fashionable. 

I made myself a spoon from elm wood. Actually I have fallen in love with this wood. I love the colours and the oxidation. I also tried my hand at some Kólrosing, which did not yet turn out too well, but could be much worse, so actually I really like the outcome.

The little pouch I just made to practice the technique. It is made from bramble splittings weaved together. After plaiting, I gave it a quick oiling to keep it flexible. I still have to learn a lot, and that is a very good thing, because it keeps my mind off things. 

The "Nessmuk" I made some years ago. It is made from spring steel with a selective quench and temper. Scales are desert iron wood with mosaic pins. It is a bit of a controversial knife, having a spine thickness of almost 9mm at the handle (albeit with a distal taper towards the tip). For the length it is a very able chopper, but it is also a very heavy knife. Having fallen in love with Moras again I find it stays at home more often than not. Actually it also cuts quite nicely, but it needs to get some getting accustomed to it, mainly when carrying is concerned, but still. It is a monster, and actually overbuilt for what I do these days.

Anyway, it still is a very good feeling to make things out of nothing, to be even able to do so, in these times, and doing it with tools you yourself made from junk noone cares a runny shit about. 

Message. ☺️ 

Beliebte Posts