I had some HSS steel (DMo5) lying around, pre-hardened to 64HRC and gave it a go to make some carving knives from it. Now you often hear that this is a recommendeable project for beginners, but it is pretty hard to achieve without overheating or ruining tools. I used an angle grinder and constantly cooled the piece, fixing it on a 4x4 with Carpenter clamps.
Made a "pencil"-style handle for it and gave it a high convex bevel to zero. Pretty hard to do, but eventually succeeded, even though it is not exactly beautiful. The handle is from lilac from the old man's garden.
Tested it, and man, is that a slicer.
Then I started a sheath from hazel.
Fixed the halves with twine originally, which has been replaced with silver-plated wire in the meantime.
Thing is, that little slicer is pretty versatile. The blade being just 2 mm thick, it just sails through the wood. The blade is about 60mm long. I also tend to use it in the kitchen or for foraging.
Thing is, it does a lot of things really great. So much in fact, that I sometimes ask myself if we got it back to front with bushcraft knives. I mean, well, it can not do batoning. Or prying. But you can carve everything you need with it, including gluts. It is so light you don't notice it is there at all. I would not dismiss my Garberg or Casström knives for it or my Puukot, but it certainly is a reality check.
Those are the adventures of Mr. Fimbulmyrk, in bushcraft and blacksmithing, mountainbiking and hiking, reenactment, writing, singing, dancing, stargazing and having a piece of cake and a coffee. Pray have a seat and look around you, but be warned - the forest´s twilight is ferocious at times.
Beliebte Posts
-
This is part of my not exactly tiny collection of German hunting knives, representatives of a very distinct and ancient style of knife. Y...
-
I had used my beloved friction folder pretty hard. For those of you that are new to the blog, I made it several years ago, from a titanium...
-
Bushprowler test by the maker himself is quite impressive. I test my knives myself and felt inspired by the footage... and it is a motiva...
-
A current hyperfixation of this here neurospicy conker is making pouches from bark. Pretty satisfying, since I am slowly getting the gist. ...
-
Some time ago I collected some oak galls because I was feeling inspired by medieval scribe culture. I had made the graphite pen holder and ...
-
This is somewhat of an edit of an ancient post from way back then. But as is, the times have changed a lot, and so has my persp...
-
On Saturday, I was privileged to be part of a big issue for me: I was invited to the creremony of Ms. Mondjungs and Jakub´s wedding, whic...
-
So, as I said, the hunt is on, and I like to circle the topic by etymology first. I learned the variant "Knopmes" is still used i...
-
This is a MilTec assault pack, since I could not afford a Tas, for cheap (39€). Loads of Molle loops, hydration pouch (system is not provide...
-
The other day I rode out to my favourite creek to do some dipping and crafting, and I got some... nooootions. 😉 You know, my beloved mag...












