This is one of the latest incarnations of a breed I simply love to make these days - and it seems others do actually approve as well, for some already found a home elsewhere... ;-). This one´s a tester, which I made from silver steel for a change to further the game a bit... selective and conservative temper of about 58HRC (the steel with a carbon content of 1% can take a lot more), but that way it gets really, really sharp. It will be a personal eating and snack knife for me. The bevel is a high convex grind to zero.
The handle is a bit of a pain in the arse to make, for it never comes out straight... ;-) but slowly I get the gist...
Personally I like this twist a lot, even if it is quite basic and of course I have a lot to learn still... but I am getting there...
The leaf structure is made with the peen of a Scandinavian smithing hammer... I am currently dreaming up other design possibilities as well... we´ll see how it all comes out...
The knife´s now in for a spoon and fork and awl to go in a pouch.
Overall the knife design is surprisingly complex and handles a lot of tasks quite well. Lacking any scales or handle materials makes it easy to clean as well as really sturdy. It also does not stain as fast, even if it gets a patina. It is suited for eating, snacking and camp cooking as well as lighter to heavier bushcraft tasks, and the handle is big enough to offer you a decent hold on the knife. The downside is of course that the handle gets hot quite easily and cold as well... but you could easily tie it to a stick to use it as a makeshift harpoon or for harvesting leaves or fruit from a tree. Also it looks pleasing to my eye at least... I like it and want to work on the design more. I will keep you posted!
Those are the adventures of Mr. Fimbulmyrk, in bushcraft and blacksmithing, mountainbiking and hiking, reenactment, writing, singing, dancing, stargazing and having a piece of cake and a coffee. Pray have a seat and look around you, but be warned - the forest´s twilight is ferocious at times.
Beliebte Posts
-
A current hyperfixation of this here neurospicy conker is making pouches from bark. Pretty satisfying, since I am slowly getting the gist. ...
-
This is part of my not exactly tiny collection of German hunting knives, representatives of a very distinct and ancient style of knife. Y...
-
I tried out a new recipe with Cornelian Cherry, which are quite abundant this year. They are pretty tangy in flavor, with a nice balance bet...
-
This is somewhat of an edit of an ancient post from way back then. But as is, the times have changed a lot, and so has my persp...
-
This is a MilTec assault pack, since I could not afford a Tas, for cheap (39€). Loads of Molle loops, hydration pouch (system is not provide...
-
It was some two weeks ago, when I went out on an after-work foraging stroll. Winter cometh;-) as they say, so I´d decided to go look for so...
-
On Saturday before Easter Sunday it is traditional in our region that bonfires are lit on every hill. In pagan times this was a custom to f...
-
Now many of you readers expect me to take a stand towards what happened in the political scene worldwide. But you must be mad, and I won´t p...
-
Now this is the blade I featured some time ago, a not-so-authentic version of the Daco-/Gallo-/ Roman sica knife. Arguably not so authenti...
-
The other day I came across some Gunnera and was pretty amazed about the pliability and durability of the fibres. Since there have been som...