I went to the smithy on Sunday to prepare some work and to help out smithing. Michael was there, and we did a children´s birthday party that day. The I forged pendants, ear hangers and the like for the upcoming Chrismas fairs we will forge on.
And, feeling very inspired by Ilkka Seikku´s knives, I started myself a bushcraft design. Not wanting to simply copy another knife, I contemplated what was proprietary to my style and what I wanted to achieve with it while sharing some characteristics with the intent in Ilkka´s knives. It shall be long enough to be useable, rugged, but an able cutter. To achieve that, I chose spring steel that I tempered selectively. I am also fond of a slight recurve design and I figured I wanted a finger grove for the index finger and a milder version of the handle shape I have come to like as quite ergonomic.
All the while the forging fest with the kids went on, and I helped out whatever I could.
The forge had been repaired by Viktor. I really love the versatility and the simplicity of a forge with no electricity. It could work just about anywhere, and I like that.
Renate, Volker´s girlfriend, provided us with a steady flow of caffeine... man, I drank like a gallon of the java stuff! Was feeling slightly queasy afterwards...*ggg*
That´s the downside of working with a low-key forge and anthracite coke: If you go for a leak or have to do some filing, you have to build a wood fire to keep it going....
The weather was foul the whole day through. It was very dark, and a bit of a drizzle fell from time to time, but no harm done, really.
As you can see, the knife´s forged into shape with little stock removal required once again.
I also made some copper ferrules for a certain Sgian Dhú ;-). It was some strenuous work, but a very satisfying day.
Those are the adventures of Mr. Fimbulmyrk, in bushcraft and blacksmithing, mountainbiking and hiking, reenactment, writing, singing, dancing, stargazing and having a piece of cake and a coffee. Pray have a seat and look around you, but be warned - the forest´s twilight is ferocious at times.
Beliebte Posts
-
This is part of my not exactly tiny collection of German hunting knives, representatives of a very distinct and ancient style of knife. Y...
-
A current hyperfixation of this here neurospicy conker is making pouches from bark. Pretty satisfying, since I am slowly getting the gist. ...
-
This is somewhat of an edit of an ancient post from way back then. But as is, the times have changed a lot, and so has my persp...
-
This is a MilTec assault pack, since I could not afford a Tas, for cheap (39€). Loads of Molle loops, hydration pouch (system is not provide...
-
I had used my beloved friction folder pretty hard. For those of you that are new to the blog, I made it several years ago, from a titanium...
-
It was some two weeks ago, when I went out on an after-work foraging stroll. Winter cometh;-) as they say, so I´d decided to go look for so...
-
The other day I rode out to my favourite creek to do some dipping and crafting, and I got some... nooootions. 😉 You know, my beloved mag...
-
The other day I came across some Gunnera and was pretty amazed about the pliability and durability of the fibres. Since there have been som...
-
So, as I said, the hunt is on, and I like to circle the topic by etymology first. I learned the variant "Knopmes" is still used i...
-
I tried out a new recipe with Cornelian Cherry, which are quite abundant this year. They are pretty tangy in flavor, with a nice balance bet...