This year is a good one for sweet chestnuts, and I cannot afford to buy food to date, so I hauled ass in.
And isn't that beautiful?
Also found myself a truckload of walnuts.
Chestnuts peeled and baking in the oven.
I also found myself some honey locust.
Boiled the honey locust to remove the seeds. They are rich in protein, the pulp is quite starchy.
Got some dates that were past the date 🤣.
I ground walnuts, honey locust pulp and cooked seeds and the sweet chestnuts together with cinnamon, cardomom, a sprinkle of pepper and nutmeg, and added a handful of dates.
Minced everything together and heated it up again....
To put it in a vacuum jar. Gets really thick! And is a wintertime treat that is extremely nutritious, satisfying, healthy and really yummy with frybread.
With the leftovers I made myself some forager's Sahlep. I first had the pleasure to encounter this winter beverage at the booth of a Persian gentleman on a Chrismas fair in my favourite City, Marburg. It is made with orchid root starch normally, and a) that isn't cool and b) expensive. But hey presto, leftovers from the honey locust pulp!
All that autumn nutty goodness in a bowl! Ghi-Miigwech to nature! I did take three tablespoons of the Crème de Maron on 1l of water, boiled it for some time, whipped it up with some warm milk until everything was nice and frothy. Enjoy hot on a cold day!
Those are the adventures of Mr. Fimbulmyrk, in bushcraft and blacksmithing, mountainbiking and hiking, reenactment, writing, singing, dancing, stargazing and having a piece of cake and a coffee. Pray have a seat and look around you, but be warned - the forest´s twilight is ferocious at times.
Sonntag, 19. Oktober 2025
Autumn goodness: Forager's crème de Maron and Sahlep
Labels:
autumn ideas,
Bushcraft,
conserving food,
Cooking,
food is a weapon,
food is medicine,
food preserves,
Foraging,
indigenous foodsystems,
nutrition,
prepping,
survival,
wildfood,
wildfoodlove
Beliebte Posts
-
This is part of my not exactly tiny collection of German hunting knives, representatives of a very distinct and ancient style of knife. Y...
-
I had used my beloved friction folder pretty hard. For those of you that are new to the blog, I made it several years ago, from a titanium...
-
A current hyperfixation of this here neurospicy conker is making pouches from bark. Pretty satisfying, since I am slowly getting the gist. ...
-
This is somewhat of an edit of an ancient post from way back then. But as is, the times have changed a lot, and so has my persp...
-
This is a MilTec assault pack, since I could not afford a Tas, for cheap (39€). Loads of Molle loops, hydration pouch (system is not provide...
-
Some time ago I collected some oak galls because I was feeling inspired by medieval scribe culture. I had made the graphite pen holder and ...
-
I am not quite sure how to write this positively. I am currently feeling a bit burned out, not necessarily by smithing, but by the circum...
-
The other day I rode out to my favourite creek to do some dipping and crafting, and I got some... nooootions. 😉 You know, my beloved mag...
-
It was some two weeks ago, when I went out on an after-work foraging stroll. Winter cometh;-) as they say, so I´d decided to go look for so...
-
I am working on a new ditty or crane bag (corr bolg), which will contain a set of knives, lashes for a flashlight, some utilities and mi...














